Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Funny Afrikaans

It took me quite a while to take my boyfriend serious when he talked in his own language, Afrikaans. To me it sounded like some funny version of Dutch, that small children speak in the Netherlands. Now, after a couple of months I am used to it and is it only on rare ocassions funny. Like the other day, when I heard somebody use the word
" laat-lammetjie" where the Dutch use "nakomertje" (Both words refer to the youngest child of a family when is way younger then its older siblings). Here some pictures of Afrikaans signs to give you an idea.

And for my Afrikaans friends: I am so sorry that I think your language is funny, but if you are honest you will have to admit that you think Dutch is to laugh at. POES is a word we actually use to address a cat and when we say KONT we don't mean the intimate part of the female body.



2 Comments:

Blogger Werner Bossmann said...

The lay-out on some of these signs is strange as well. The one about the 'piekniekmandjies looks' like a warning sign for a minefield.
(Ik dacht laat ik het eens in het Engels doen)

5:34 PM  
Blogger BrianJ said...

I'm an American who lived in SA for a two years (95 to 97). I thought Afrikaans sounded funny as well, and I had no knowledge of Dutch to compare it to.

I kept wondering why everyone in my office wanted me to have Cremora (a non-dairy creamer in the US) whenever I came to the office.

6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home