Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Just pick 'em of the street

Last week I tried to get my hands on some tickets for the rugby match SA-France in June. Monday morning at 8 we were standing in front of the Checkers supermarket waiting for the doors to open so that we would be the first ones to get tickets. Checkers/Shoprite has the monopoly to sell rugby tickets in SA and you've guessed it, where there is a monopoly, there is very bad service.
When the doors opened we raced inside to find the printers off-line. We were not the only ones there. Two white guys where as flushed and stressed as we were. Time was ticking and in other supermarkets tickets were being sold. The lady tried her best, but nothing...One of the other guys grabbed his phone and said in the receiver: you go to sea point, we will go to Mowbray. Wow! Somebody is organised. I dropped my boyfriend off at work and raced on to the supermarket in Mowbray.
It was a weird situation when I entered. The dudes from the other supermarket were there already (i don't know how they managed to do that that fast, flying?), but they were not alone. Ten black men were standing with them waiting. Waiting, because here the printers and/or systems were also off line. The tension was building up now, because we all were aware of one thing...THE INTERNET. While we were there waiting for stupid machines, people at home were booking online. Why didn't we do that? Because we're in Africa here and even Africans realise that unless you're holding the tickets in your hand there is always something that can happen to screw it up.
The one dude was again very pro-active. Take five of them and go to Rondebosch Shoprite, he said to his white companion, who immediately left with five black guys following him. What is that about?, I had to ask him. Well, you can only buy ten tickets per person and I want 120 tickets so I needed some more people, he said. Where did you get them? Oh, I just picked them of the streets in front of the supermarket. They were hanging around there.

To make a long story short. I didn't get tickets there. I raced back home and after ten tries I was able to book tickets online. We don't have them in our hands yet, so every night we go to bed praying that when we go and collect them they will be there.
Oh, did I mention I am not even going to the game myself? The tickets are for my boyfriend and his friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home