Thursday, January 04, 2007

Spoiled to the bone


I am getting very spoiled in South-Africa.
To start with: WINES. Each and every restaurant has an extensive wine list with a choice between at least 10 whites and 10 reds. Big was surprise when I was in Holland a few weeks ago and ordered wine. The following conversation emerged.
ME: I would like some wine please. (implying: bring me the wine list, please)
Waiter (W): Red or White?
Me: Red
W: Ok. (And he wanted to walk away)
Me: Sorry, but kind of wine do you have?
W: House wine
Me: ....
W: .....
Me: What is your house wine?
W: Ehh...I believe its French. Its very nice.
Me: Ehh...ok...
I didn't have the hart to ask for the kind of wine, merlot, shiraz, cabernet etc..

The second thing is: the service at petrol stations. I won't be the first and certainly not the last Dutchie who goes back to Holland, drives into a self service petrol station and sits there waiting for a person to come and fill up the tank, meanwhile complaining about the slow service.

(If you look closely at the picture you can see the guys in the background chatting and waiting for the man in the red shirt to fill up their tanks. What can I say? Attitudes rub off!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home