Thursday, July 20, 2006

Land of milk and honey

On my way back from Holland I encountered a Dutch couple at the airport. The two 50 year olds were beaming with energy. When they learned that I lived in SA they looked at each other and said simultaneously;
" We are going to buy land in South-Africa! In Somerset-West!"
" Well", I replied, " Then you are just in time, because the government is planning on making it a lot harder for foreigners to buy land"
"I heard sometime like that from a friend of ours", the lady said and turned to her husband "Isn't he going there now as well to buy some for himself?"
"Yes, he his", the husband replied.
" The government is making it harder because the purchases of wealthy foreigners are driving up the prices so much that locals find it almost impossible to afford property, especially in the Western Cape", I explained.
"Really? So we are just in time then!”, the man replied happy.


The corridors at airfields are pretty long so the conversation continued until we reached gate 16.
"Isn't it wonderful to live in SA? I mean; it's like the land of milk and honey", he asked me.
Just coming back from Holland with it's small gap between rich and poor and all it's healthy, well fed people, I couldn't help but reply: "I don't know, there's so much poverty and misery. A lot people are uneducated and unemployed, they live in shacks. Every day I get confronted with the fact that I have it better than most. I loved being in Holland where so many people can afford the same things I can and where poverty is hidden".
Obviously this wasn't what the guy had expected and he fell silent for a little while. "Yes of course, but what about the wine, the diners, the climate. It's wonderful!" and he turned to see if his wife was still following him. "Let's go!”. And off they were.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home