Tuesday, August 08, 2006

VegiWHAT?!


A meal in SA isn't complete without a huge portion of meat. When I told my boyfriend that in Holland the guideline for the daily intake of meet is 100 grams his eyes popped out. "But that's only one sandwich!"
Yesterday I was preparing dinner when he peaked over my shoulder and saw that I had 'only' taken 150 grams of boerewors out of the fridge for him. (I chopped a pack of 500 grams into 3 portions) So he dived back in there and took another piece out. He must have eaten about 350 grams of wors (sausage).

The other day at the McDonalds I noticed for the first time that there was no veggie burger on the menu. Needless to say that my asthonishment wasn't exactly shared by my SA companion "Of course there's no veggie thing here, who eats that?"
Once a friend of mine was stupid enough to ask for a veggie burger at a fastfood restaurant. She got a bun with onion, lettuce, tomato and mayo!

The menu above gives you an idea of what people eat here for breakfast. Special attention for the Plaasjapie please. With 200 grams of steak it contains more meat than a complete steak dinner in an average restaurant in Holland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home