Thursday, March 09, 2006

Cinderella-story: a poor white girl from Holland






I am previously disadvantaged!
That is a politically correct term for people who suffered under the apartheids regime, so that basically means everyone who lives in a slum or on the streets. I can hear you thinking; how does a white girl from the Netherlands who just started living here all of a sudden becomes prev.disadvanced? Well, thank you for asking.
I found it out the other day when I made some inquieries about a job at a newspaper here in South-Africa. As a foreigner it's quite a hassle to get a job in this country because of working permits and because there is affirmative action. That's another politically correct term meaning positive discrimination for black people.
Anyway, the conversation with the paper went like this (after asking for the right person)
L(that's me): Hello, I am calling about the job. Is it a problem that I am Dutch?
The right person (TRP): Not that I know of.
L: Is it a problem that I am white and female?
TRP: Well, we look at one's capabilities before anything else, but besides you are female so that makes you partly previously disadvantaged. That works in your advantage.
There you have it. Because the apartheidsregime treated anyone who wasn't white and male more or less like shit, I now have a better chance of getting a job here. Isn't that great?! I must admit that after this I look differently at the poor black people on the streets. I feel a connection. I understand their struggle. Just to give you an idea of how hard it is for the previously disadvantaged in this country I inclose some pictures of the houses these people live in. Try to see if you can pick the one I live in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home